It is a tremendous honor to become the new President of the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS). Last year brought several special challenges for the CAS. With lots of hard work from hundreds of volunteers we surmounted those issues and emerged stronger than ever. The CAS continues to be the premier educator of property casualty actuaries around the world. We now have over 8,000 members in over 40 countries, and another 4,000 active candidates taking our exams. Volunteerism continues to be the hallmark of our society. The special member survey about the proposed combination with the Society of Actuaries clearly showed how much our members value the Casualty Actuarial Society.
As the new year starts, I’d like to share with you my goals for my Presidential term:
- Build on the relationships with and understanding of the SOA that we gained in the last year to work jointly on initiatives where we share common goals and needs.
- Continue to market The CAS Institute (iCAS) and support the iCAS leadership team as they develop and expand iCAS programs.
- Pushing forward the strategic goals recently identified by the CAS Board, namely:
- Reviewing the current staff/volunteer model to ensure we get the most value from our tremendous volunteers,
- Ensuring the Board operates as much as possible in a strategic rather than operational mode,
- Pushing forward with more predictive analytics education for our members and candidates, and
- Identifying potential strategic alliances.
- Represent the CAS by speaking at events and highlighting that the CAS is the gold standard in educating property and casualty actuaries.
- Expand the CAS footprint in China and Southeast Asia by filling a staff actuary position in China and creating a Part 6 International exam.
- Continue to embrace innovation and add relevant new topics to our both our pre-Fellowship and continuing education systems.
- Continue the CAS tradition of offering assistance and support in the general insurance space to other international actuarial bodies.
I’m looking forward to working with our volunteers and staff to accomplish these goals and more. I’m looking forward to working with our volunteers and staff to accomplish these goals and more. I welcome any comments you have on my goals – please leave a reply below.