The Casualty Actuarial Society is a professional organization whose purpose is the advancement of the body of knowledge of actuarial science applied to property, casualty, and similar risk exposures.
- Representing the CAS Globally: My Visits to Malaysia and Japan
- My Visits with CAS Members and Candidates in Wisconsin: Insights and Feedback
- The RPM Seminar–What’s in a Name?
- Mango Talks Professionalism [Podcast]
- In Remembrance: CAS Contributor Richard A. Derrig, PhD
Author Archives: Robert Walling
In the 1990s, we wondered how actuaries would preserve their market value when competing with product managers. In the 2000s, some wondered if CFAs would encroach upon our territory. Others viewed the SOA general insurance track as a danger. Today, data scientists are our newest “threat.” There are two fundamental facts to keep in mind. … Read more
I recently read the best-selling book “How Google Works,” by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg. It is one of the best books I have read, in any genre, in quite some time. The book focuses on technology companies, but also provides useful insights to industries like ours. One key insight is the importance of “smart … Read more